Monday, January 22, 2007

Hysteria

I think I've been pretty calm throughout the pregnancy. I've only called the doctor's office once worried. This morning, however, there was a five-alarm freak out. At 40 weeks, S is taking up all of the available space in my midsection, and I know that at the end they stop moving around a lot because they just run out of room. This morning she wasn't moving at all, and none of my usual tricks for getting her to wiggle were working. Mass hysteria with big, sobbing crocodile tears ensued. (Otis was very sweet and just laid his head in my lap while I boo-hooed.) Needless to say, I went to the doctor's office and got hooked up to the fetal monitor. Also needless to say, about five seconds after I was hooked up, she decided she wanted to move around. Twerp. I think she was just messing with me. M met me at the office to make sure that both S and I were okay, and since we were both in the office, we went ahead and had an induction scheduled for Thursday. I'm hoping to go into labor on my own before then, but either way, we're having a baby this week. It's a very bizarre feeling.

So, between now and Thursday I'm sure I'll think of all kinds of ridiculous things to get done. Like making sure my eyebrows are plucked and the fridge is cleaned out. Ridiculous. For now, though, I'm going to take a nap. It's been an exhausting day- and now Otis is puking. Awesome.

3 comments:

mo.wask said...

ah. the art of manipulation has started young with this one. j/k.

glad to hear all is ok. wish i could have given you a hug. such frightening moments. i remember my almost freak out at week 38/39 was when my doctor measured my belly and then kept on remeasuring it. she sent me to get an ultrasound b/c she was afraid he'd ballooned to 10-12 lbs or had something freakishly wrong with him. i think m actually drove t to the ultrasound place. turns out the kid was just REALLY long and in a funky position. kids, i tell ya.

we are anxiously awaiting the newest member to the geog-geek squad. hugs! and let us know if you need ANYTHING. i realize we are a million miles away but you know we are only a phone call away.

feather nester said...

Oh, sweetie. I'm sorry you had such a scare. I can only imagine. Well, if it's getting that crowded in there, maybe she'll come out on her own. Either way, I'm so glad to know we'll get a look at her soon! Call us immediately (and by immediately, of course, I mean when it's convenient for you) when she's here! Hugs.

monkeymama said...

in all of the hysteria, have you had time for a pedi? you want your tootsies looking their best if they are going to be in the doctor's face!!I can't wait to meet this sweet little girl!
hugs to all