Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Otis's first ear infection

Otis had to go to the vet this morning. He has been messing with his ears a bit more than usual for days, but he was still letting us play with them and look in them, so I didn't think it was bad, and I didn't see anything in there. Turns out I just didn't know what to look for. When he started shaking his head a lot yesterday and actually acting like he didn't feel well, I made an appointment. Apparently, labs have allergy problems, which can manifest themselves as recurrent ear infections. Combined with poodles having long hair that grows in their ears, it's apparently not uncommon for labradoodles to have ear aches. So, they showed me what the infection gunk looks like, cleaned his ears, gave me some medicine to put in his ears for a week, and gave me a solution that we can clean his ears with after that. Poor little guy. I can't imagine what it feels like to have a sick child, considering I just want to curl up next to Otis and pet him and make him feel better. We'll also be switching him from his "sensitive stomach" prescription kibble to a hypoallergenic prescription kibble when the current bag is empty. I long for the days of buying his food somewhere other than the vet.

Oh, and he's a shrimp by labradoodle standards. He's only 55 pounds! He's all legs, though, so I shouldn't be surprised...plus he's M's dog...I'm never going to be able to put weight on the "P" men!!

2 comments:

die Frau said...

You probably already know this, but mix in some of Otis' old food with the new so the transition is smoother. That's what the vet told me.

feather nester said...

Kisses to Otis. Hope he feels better.