Wednesday, August 16, 2006

It cooks, It cleans, It sews

I had a bit of a domestic goddess day yesterday...in a strangely inept sort of way. I cleaned all three bathrooms in one day, which I rarely do. The last time I cleaned the bathrooms (this only applies during pregnancy), I got sick from the smells and all the "up and down." Even though I use the chemical-free, fruity-smelling cleaners, it's still a little overpowering for the heightened sense of smell. Just the same, I was feeling pretty good yesterday, and I went to town on all the bathrooms.

I also made my favorite quick bread as a thank you to our friend Angie who got us the tennis tickets. It smelled so good coming out of the oven, that I almost gave up on sending it to her (opting to send her a bottle of wine) and ate it myself. Alas, I was good, and I wrapped it up before the yummy smell drove me insane. I also made actual dinner last night, and that it a rare accomplishment lately. Fried rice. It was delish, but I would still like to be eating the bread!!

I also (finally) made the mini moopy bunny yesterday afternoon. It's pretty funny. The left arm is pitched a little higher than the right, so it looks like it's waving, and the left leg is nowhere near being properly placed. It's kind of hysterical in a "my six-year-old made this at 4-H camp" sort of way. In my defense, I was having to dodge Otis while making it, and I tend to not follow directions (not really a defendable excuse as much as a reason).

In case anyone is interested:

SWEET BEER BREAD

3c self-rising flour
1/2 c sugar
1 bottle/can of beer
1/4-1/2 c of melted butter

Mix the first three ingredients, and pour into prepared 9x5 loaf pan. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Pour melted butter over the top, and bake an additional 10 minutes.

It's that easy. The original recipe calls for a full 1/2 c of melted butter, but I think 1/4 cup is plenty as sometimes 1/2 c can make the bread too greasy on the sides. As for the beer, I have used everything from PBR to Shiner Bock to Saranac Christmas Ale, and it doesn't really make any difference in the taste of the bread. Sooooo, use the cheap beer that is hanging out in the back of the fridge to make the bread and enjoy the good "front of the fridge beer" while the bread bakes! It's a win/win situation.

2 comments:

mo wask said...

givin' that bunny a high five! glad you had a good day. :-)

die Frau said...

Cute bunny! And I wonder if the non-alcoholic beer we've been drinking (fewer Weight Watcher points for Ted) would work?