Monday, December 18, 2006

One week until Christmas

Have I mentioned that my husband loves Christmas? He does. Hence our substantial collections of nutcrackers and holiday CDs. I was never a huge Christmas fan growing up as the entire day was usually an experiment in torture around my house. We always had to get up super early because we had to be at my stepdad's family's for breakfast at nine...and we had to rip into the bounty left by Santa and shower and all that before the 45 minute car trip. Then we went to my grandparents' a bit after noon, and everyone was usually tired and stressed by that point. I can't tell you how many times we had new toys taken away on Christmas day because our parents couldn't stand them any longer. It was insanely hectic, and I hope Christmas for S will be much more enjoyable. I actually don't have to hope very much because her father will make sure that she has awesome Christmases.

In getting ready for the holiday, M and I talk and think a lot about traditions we'd like to start or carry on. There are certain movies we always watch (Christmas Vacation, A Christmas Carol, Love Actually, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, and It's a Wonderful Life), and I don't see that tradition falling by the wayside as it provides great opportunities for us to relax together during the insanity of the Christmas season. M's family always made and decorated butter cookies together, and we're planning on doing that this weekend while his family is here. I'm also making several of the candies that his mother always made. My family never really had "traditions"- nothing we did together. There are certain things that I remember- like always trying to steal the Rolo's from my brother's stocking because they were like gold in our house or the red tin that my grandmother always kept fudge in. That's pretty much it, though.

Anyway, we watched two of our movies in the past few days, and Otis was very interested in the spooky noises from A Christmas Carol. Of course, we have the George C. Scott version, which is actually a little scary, so we'll have to get a different version in an effort not to terrify our daughter. Last night we watched Christmas Vacation, and our little family was laying in one big pile on the living room floor under a quilt. Otis made sure that he was included by laying on my feet and using M's legs as a pillow. S was kicking the entire time- probably wanting us to give her some space. As we lay there, I couldn't help but imagine all the wonderful Christmas memories that my little family will make in the coming years. I have this vision of M on the sofa with S, sipping cocoa and reading The Night Before Christmas. I imagine how much fun it will be watching her get excited about Santa and seeing all the shiny presents under the tree. Of course, that's after the couple of years she'll likely be terrified of Santa Claus. I look forward to that, too. Amazingly, being with my husband and getting ready to be a mom has changed my attitude toward Christmas. I have to say, I've become a fan.

1 comment:

feather nester said...

Good for you! I hope it lived up to your new expectations this year.