Wednesday, September 28, 2011

yum.

I know you have all been checking for the roast chicken update constantly. You probably thought I had utterly forsaken you. Alas, here I am.

The roast chicken was very, very good. The jus was a little salty, but I think that I allowed it to reduce too much, overly concentrating the flavors. Also, I used bought stock instead of my homemade unsalted stuff, which I didn't account for when salting the bird. I was not deterred, however, from eating it with gusto! I don't think that using Octoberfest to deglaze the pan really added anything, so I will try it with wine next time, and if that doesn't seem to seal the deal, I'll just use straight stock.

Besides, I don't want to waste perfectly delicious beer and wine if I don't need to.

I'll also make mashed potatoes next time. I had planned to this go-round, but I needed to cook the green beans in the fridge, and having carrots, green beans, and mashed potatoes seemed a little extravagant for a Tuesday night. Don't you think?

The croutons were nice. The texture added a nice juxtaposition. I'm calling it a success.

I also promptly used the old girl's carcass and all the peelings from the carrots, onions, and garlic to make stock for tomorrow night's Chicken Tortilla Soup. I am so old school, aren't I? Next thing you know I'll be all Little-House-on-the-Prairie...making quilts and rags out of our old clothes. Wait, I already do that.

I'm amazed that I have any friends at all.

No comments: