Monday, September 19, 2011

weekend update.

My girl, walking into her first collegiate stadium. Look at her holding that ticket just so. Also, observe her scouting the concession stands.

My girl went to her first college football game this Saturday, and I am proud to say it was an all SEC affair. Vanderbilt vs. Ole Miss. It was her first exposure to the Mississippi Swoop, though I don't think she noticed it, and I'm hoping that by her first game being between these two schools, she will grow up knowing that you're supposed to dress for football games like you dress for church. No one told me that growing up, and I didn't know it until college. Of course, I went to high school games covered in paint half the time, so it doesn't matter. I digress.
M and my dad took her. My dad (and stepmom) took me to my first collegiate game, too. I was eleven. Fifth grade. Neyland Stadium. Whilst I was seven years her senior, my first game was like a pilgrimage to Mecca, and I avow that she will be old enough to understand and appreciate football and its traditions before she experiences the Vol Walk or Running through the T. But experience it she shall, and I'll be there for that one.
For the record, she loved it. She loved the popcorn, hot dog, and cotton candy. She loved her new shaker. And she apparently yelled for all she was worth at all the appropriate times. That's my girl.

As for yesterday, I was a waste of space. I had a wicked headache, so I didn't do a whole lot. Though I did make a delicious Orange Cinnamon Swirl bread for breakfast, a fresh batch of lactation cookies, and a pan of Petits Pains au Lait for dinner. Other than all that, I didn't do much. I showered and threw on a pair of sweatpants and a long sleeved tee. I sat in the big chair and read a bit of Wuthering Heights. I watched Life as We Know It. The bread was successful. The book is captivating (Kris, you're right!!). The movie was disappointing. The day, however, was sufficiently restful that I don't feel like a zombie today. Unfortunately, I slept on my arm all wonky because I cannot lift it today without wanting to burst into fits of tears. (Washing my face and hair was a comedy of errors this morning...as was putting on a clean shirt.) I've hit the Ibuprofen like an addict this morning, though, so I am confident that all will be well.

Outfit updates: I did not photograph myself in sweat pants. It goes against my rules. If you'd like a photo of the outfit in the laundry pile, I'm happy to oblige. This is today's ensemble. Boot cut jeans, dark gray v-neck. It's raining, and we're not leaving the house, so this is as good as it gets. I think I deserve bonus points anyway for being showered and dressed and capable of looking so darned chipper at 530am. You read that right. I am a sadist apparently.
A note regarding this photograph. M took it. While taking it, he said, I am going to make you look as tall as possible, and I had no idea what he meant. I think he meant that he thought it would make me look taller if my whole body was in the photograph. I don't know. What I do know is that I look shorter than I actually am because there are thirty-six feet of atmosphere above my head in the photo. Goofy tall husband...making everybody else look like little people all the time.

Lastly, and unrelated to this entire post...S just got out of bed on her own for the first time in her entire life. I am beside myself with shock. Like, this is me...and this is the other me...way over here beside myself with shock. Who came up with that goofy phrase anyway?

2 comments:

Sarah Berry said...

You were:

AWAKE??
SHOWERED??
DRESSED??

By 5:30AM??

If I'm showered and dressed by 5:30*PM* I call that a victory.

Seriously, how are we even friends? Soon I will need anti-depression meds when I look at my life in reference to yours :)

Melissa said...

This outfit is my staple. And yes, you are awfully chipper for 5:30 AM. I was also awake at that hour, but definately not showered and lookin' so happy!!!