Thursday, May 25, 2006

The great vegetable experiment

Anyone who knows me/us well enough to be reading this knows that my husband does not like vegetables. He swears that they stunt your growth and he (6'5") offers me (5'3) up as support of said hypothesis. Just the same, I keep plugging away at his hatred of nutritional value. (That's not entirely fair, he eats fruit.) My major concern is that we'll someday have children that I can't convince to eat their veggies because I can't convince their father to eat them, so I'm trying to find veggies that he likes before that time rolls around. Tonight's effort is spaghetti squash, and it's kind of a double whammy because I don't normally like squash, which means I can't fuss at him for being picky if I won't eat it either. Of course, my distaste for squash is generally based on texture issues (which makes me a non-supporter of eggplant and zucchini, too- unless they're grilled) and the fact that I thought my grandma's fried squash looked funny when I was a little girl. I've got my fingers crossed that I have found a healthy, vegetarian dinner with no pasta or rice that we'll actually enjoy. Wish me luck on that one...

In other news, the garden is coming along nicely, and Otis seems to have forgotten about eating the dirt. The basil is really taking off, and I have even more lettuce sprouting. I'm so excited!! Also, we are officially looking at digital cameras, so maybe someday there will actually be pictures on here that I didn't take with one of the crappy work cameras. I think we have it narrowed down to two models, but I don't remember the numbers. I guess you'll know if we succeed- you'll actually have something to look at. What a nice change that will be (although I comfort myself by saying that making you imagine what I'm talking about encourages creativity- ha!!)

No comments: