Friday, February 15, 2008

more than a feeling

"Classic rock is both classic and it rocks."

That's one of M's favorite lines from any sitcom. Ever. Roz said it on Frasier, and M always takes the opportunity to remind me of it when we battle over adult rock on NPR and his favorite classic rock stations. I always championed the "driver rules" end of things (when I was driving) until we recently started relying on our iPods for road trips, and I just don't think it's safe to play digital DJ while tooling down the interstate at 80mph. What's a girl to do when she wants to listen to Ray LaMontagne and her husband wants to listen to Journey? Listen to Bel Biv Devoe instead. Try it. Works for us. Besides, who can argue about music when you're being reminded to never trust a big butt and a smile?

How do I get off on these tangents? Anyway...

Did anyone else hear that Tom Scholz from the totally awesome 70's supergroup Boston has requested that Mike Huckabee stop using the band's song More than a Feeling? Is that hysterical, or is it just me? He claims that he doesn't support the ideas of Huckabee's campaign and doesn't want him ripping off his hard work to get elected. Besides, he's an Obama man, which makes me love Boston that much more.

The funny thing about it is that I was wondering about something along these lines just the other day. I was wondering whether bands have to approve the use of their music by campaigns. I guess not. Clearly, musicians tend to endorse candidates at some point (think Springsteen for John Kerry), but until that time comes around, is it a free-for-all? Because, I'm not sure if you've noticed, but certain songs always pop up, and I've noticed a recent barrage of U2. I have to wonder how Bono feels about it. And, shouldn't the candidates for president of the United States use a more local band?? Isn't that kind of like making your campaign vehicle a Saab? How unAmerican!! Ha. Anyway, I think that it's funny how music becomes such a huge part of the message.

Okay, since I was apparently berated by the men of Stantec for ignoring "Five Senses Friday" like it didn't exist last week, here you go...

FIVE SENSES FRIDAY
Sight: S walking around with her Valentine's Day balloon

Sound: "Auf Wiedersehen" to Sweet P on this week's Project Runway, the Curious George theme song on PBS

Smell: cheese toast in the oven, chocolate

Touch: S's clean hair...and her warm tummy

Taste: Cranberry Cinnamon Spelt Pancakes, Black Bean and Sweet Potato Soup, Chocolate Cranberry Oatmeal Cookie Bars

I'm out peeps, the chimney sweep should be here any minute.

No comments: