Monday, February 18, 2008

a little love for b.o.

As in Barack Obama...because, really, what else have I been talking about lately?

I ran across this at This Week with Barack Obama:

Hillary Clinton said the following at the Wisconsin Democratic Party dinner:

It will take more than just speeches to fulfill our dreams. It will take a lot of hard work.

Barack Obama said the following in a speech following Clinton's:

Don't tell me words don't matter. If we don't inspire the country to believe again, then it doesn't matter how many policies and plans we have.

While I can't argue with Clinton's assertion that it will, in fact, take a lot of hard work to get this country where it needs to be, I also wholeheartedly believe what Senator Obama said. Words do matter. Some examples of words that have mattered: "I have a dream," "Ask not what your country can do for you," "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall." You know, little words like that. Hope and inspiration are essential. Without them, where are we? What's the point? There was a time when America was just wilderness. It became what it is today because people who had hope were inspired to come here to make their lives better. This country was built on hope and inspiration. How can Hillary Clinton so easily dismiss the power and the importance of them? I think that, especially now, when this nation and this world are in such horrible shape, we need hope more than ever.

I hope that people believe in that message. I hope that America can come together and start getting some things right. I hope that we can create a better world for my daughter because she deserves it, as do all the other children of this country. They deserve better than polluted water and air. They deserve better healthcare. They deserve a good education no matter where they live or how much money their daddies make. They deserve good quality food and toys. They deserve access to music and art and the outdoors. They deserve to be safe from guns and drugs. They deserve it. I want to give it to all of them.

I'm out, peeps. I've got to pack. S and I are headed to Tennessee tomorrow to see Feathernester and family.

No comments: