Wednesday, February 27, 2008

green day

Not Green Day- green day. Not like Dookie or American Idiot Green Day. Just a green day. For blogging at least. I suppose it really hasn't been that green of a day around here. However, I wanted to give a little update on the greening of the P household.

We're waiting until we move to order the electric mower as we don't want to pay to move it, and we don't want to bother anyone with the delivery of a big electric mower in a box. But, that one is squarely on the agenda. We've also found solar lights like we wanted for our driveway and our storage shed...if only we had a driveway and a storage shed. Those are right at the top of the to-do list, too. We'll likely be going with this motion light set-up for the driveway, and M found this for the storage shed. We are super excited about both. I'm also ordering thermal-backed drapes for our bedroom as I expect it will be pretty chilly in there. The master bedroom is downstairs, and the bed will be sitting next to two pretty sizable windows. Hopefully, the thermal drapes will keep us from jacking up the heat. I also had a ceiling fan put in to move the warm air around...and we'll have to get a rug, but that one will wait until next year. We've also had the downstairs painted, and we were able to use no-VOC paint, and we were shocked to learn that the paint only added 70 bucks to the entire bill. Not bad, huh? I can't wait to see the newly painted walls. We've also got great plans to take out the water-hogging, mower-requiring front lawn, but I somehow doubt that major landscaping is in the budget for this spring. We will, however, be putting in a garden and compost bin ASAP, and we'll get a clothesline in pretty soon, too. Hopefully, I'll get some rain barrels before summertime rolls in. I just need to bite the bullet and order some, because really? Do I really see myself running all over creation looking for someone to donate barrels to me...and then rigging up the whole thing? Probably not. I'll keep you updated on that one. I know that anticipation is killing you.

Okay, I've got things to do. I'm out, peeps. Have a great hump day. Here's a lovely picture for you to make you think of warmer spring days...instead of the crappy, ice and snow-filled cold waiting outside right now.

Image from Seaside Landscaping.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You might want to check out the rain barrels and rain kits at www.aquabarrel.com