Wednesday, November 15, 2006

She's crafty

I consider myself a creative person. I just have a problem with follow-through. (Self revelation of the day, perhaps??) I think it has to do with my type-A, anal retentive personality. I have yet to pick up my knitting needles since I "taught" myself to knit last Monday. I suppose I am too impatient. I can safely say that I don't expect I'll ever knit anything unless I am bed-ridden. I knew it was a waste of time and money when I bought that silly kit. I am more a "one day" or "one weekend" project kind of girl. I require deadlines or, at minimum, light at the end of the proverbial tunnel.

All this chatter leads me to my "upcoming projects." For starters, I have to re-upholster the new dining room chairs. The current fabric just doesn't work in our house. It's a matter of picking out the fabric...I already bought the staple gun, and I know that the entire project will only take me about an hour if I can just commit to a fabric. Therein lies the problem. I vow to have this done before my father-in-law arrives for Christmas. My other project also involves Christmas. I don't suppose it's actually critical this year, but we need new stockings and a tree skirt. M and I bought stockings a couple of years ago, and I still like them. Unfortunately, Target doesn't carry them anymore, and Otis doesn't have one to match. I can get past that, but next year, S will have to have one. I have been on the lookout for new stockings for weeks. I have yet to find a single thing that I think I can tolerate hanging from my mantle. The decision has therefore been made that I should make the stockings (and matching tree skirt). M's family had homemade stockings, and I think he prefers the idea to store-bought. I'm on board with this...I mean, how hard can it be to make stockings? It's not like they have pockets or zippers ot anything. I think I even know what I want to do...again it's a matter of picking out fabric (in this case, colors). I just need to buckle down and hit the fabric stores with a vengeance. I really want to get the stockings at least started this week as I know M will want to start decorating for Christmas as soon as we get home from Thanksgiving next week. I guess we'll see how it goes...I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

monkeymama said...

yeah, I am still not finished with my kiddos stockings. I am close- I hand shadow embroidered their names and a cute(not hokey cutsey) christmas something on the cuff. I am going with the traditional red velvet, with a fun piping and inner fabric. I will post a pic when I am finished. Does that help with the inspiration?

mo.wask said...

just wanted to say hello!