Wednesday, November 22, 2006

I heart turkey

Most people like Christmas. Some are Halloween fans. Some are nuts for birthdays. Me? I like Thanksgiving. It is hands-down my favorite holiday. As I've gotten older, I've realized it's not quite as stress free as I always thought (getting everything to the table before it's cold and ruined can be a daunting task), but there are really very few expectations on turkey day. I love that...just hanging out with the family. I'm actually going home for Thanksgiving for the first time in five years, and I couldn't be more excited. I've had great holidays between then and now, but there is something about going home and having the holiday carried out as you remember it from childhood (with a few requisite casting changes, of course). I made pies yesterday afternoon- Caramel Pecan and Hot Fudge, and I wish that I could eat them right now. I've got to get the cranberries in the oven pretty soon so they'll be cool enough to travel with. Other than that, I am ready for Thanksgiving. Bring on the turkey and mashed potatoes and green beans and corn and rolls and EVERYTHING!

Otis is also ready for the holiday, but he'll be spending it without us. He got a nice new haircut yesterday afternoon, so he's back to looking like a cue ball. Actually, when he gets shaved, I've decided he looks like a mouse because his eyes sort of bug out of his little gray head. It's funny. Either way, he is staying home for Thanksgiving, and our friend Mike is taking care of him while we're away. To deal with the guilt of leaving him, I bought him a new ball. He's been having a great time, so I don't feel so awful. Ask me how guilty I feel when he tries to get in the car and go with me this afternoon. That's the real test.

Oh, big excitement in the P household. (Read: not exciting at all) I bought diapers for the first time yesterday, too. Pampers Swaddlers. And I got some wipes. I realized that we would technically be completely able to sustain S if she came early, as long as she didn't "use the facilities," so I decided to take care of that one. Of course, I'm also banking on my boobs working as milk factories. Cross your fingers. Know what I learned buying diapers? Diapers are expensive. At least they seem that way when you're buying the little tiny ones. It doesn't seem like a lot of bang for your buck!! Can't live without 'em, though. I wish that I was the kind of person who could handle cloth diapers. I'd love to think that my child and I aren't just adding garbage to the earth. Alas, I am cutting myself some slack on this one. Maybe I'll be one of those parents who potty trains at 15 months. Have you read about these people?? Over-acheivers.

Have a great Thanksgiving, peeps...complete with tryptophan-induced slumber around 3pm!!

1 comment:

die Frau said...

Would you ever try cloth? My friend used them for her boy and they were fine. I don't know about the washing machine factor, however.