Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Old Ironsides

Iron supplements suck. I don't like taking them, so I'm trying to incorporate more iron into my diet (and upping my OJ intake to help absorption). Of course, M and I only usually eat meat at home maybe once a week. And that's a big maybe. I guess all those years of being a vegetarian make it seem strange to eat meat a lot even though there was always meat at dinner when I was growing up. I am southern after all, and southern men require meat and starch at all meals...even breakfast. I'm looking for things to cook other than steak because it's too cold to stand outside at the grill, and I was thinking of making beef burgundy. So, I'm on a quest to find a recipe that I like. I'm meticulous when it comes to recipe research. What can I say...when there are two eaters as picky as M and I, one has to have a discerning eye.

Completely unrelated to pregnant anemia, some friends of mine sent around one of those questionnaires that I love yesterday. You know what I'm talking about- the "if you were a crayon, what color would you be?" type surveys. I love those things because you find out new and interesting things about your friends, and you are reminded of why you like them so much when they spit out answers like, "If I lived in a can of Dr. Pepper, I'd be looking for a new real estate agent." (In response to, "If you lived in a can of Dr. Pepper, would you be the Doctor or the Pepper?") This one had great questions, but one of the questions kind of stuck with me.

"What do you like best about yourself?"

While I could totally BS my way through an answer to this question if it were an essay or an interview question, when I found myself trying to honestly answer it, I was at a loss. "I like my handwriting," or "I like that I only have one dimple," seemed a little superficial. What do I like about myself? It's way easier to fall into a void of self-loathing, making a laundry list of things that I don't like about myself, including ridiculous oddities that people don't know about me. So, I've decided to reveal something about myself on a quasi-daily basis that I think people don't know. Not necessarily good stuff or bad stuff, just bizarre, fairly inconsequential stuff. I can't have all my self-loathing out there for the general population to endure. So, here's today's little nugget o' truth:

I despise vacuuming. As neat-freak as I am, I hate doing floors: sweeping, mopping, vacuuming. I hate it. I wouldn't observe the five second rule in my own bathrooms, and I advise you not to as well...not that you have any reason to be eating in my bathroom. Of course, I don't know why I would be eating in the bathroom, either. Then again, I am pregnant.

No comments: