Saturday, October 14, 2006

Oh so pregnant

The past couple of days have been less than stellar. I am feeling miserably pregnant, and highly aware of all of my current pregnancy symptoms. So, since this is my blog and no one can stop me, this is my complaint post.

I told M last week that I feel a bit like a bad mother already because I really don't like being pregnant. My aunt Melanie says that doesn't make me a bad mother, it makes me a bad pregnant person and that's okay. She pointed out that my being a good or bad mother remains to be seen...as she snickered.

Here's my list of reasons that I don't like being pregnant right now:

1. Iron supplements and prenatal viatmins. These are making me feel sick. I have to take one in the morning and one before bed because the iron overload has to be spaced out. Therefore, I spend the first several hours of my day feeling like "the pukes" are coming back, and then I can't sleep at night because of the overwhelming feeling of queasiness.

2. Pre-newborn sleepless nights. I've never been one to wake up at night for anything. Now half of my night is spent awake. I was prepared for this once the baby arrives, but I'm not giving birth for fourteen weeks. Firstly, there are the potty breaks. It takes just long enough to get up and pee for my brain to wake up. I usually lie awake for about an hour after the potty breaks, desperately trying to go back to sleep. Secondly, I have become an even lighter sleeper, so my poor husband gets elbowed constantly for snoring and (get this) breathing on me. Lastly, I just wake up for no reason. For the past three nights, I have woken up at 4:18 on the nose. I am convinced that's what time S will be born. I miss my champion-sleeper days. I realize they are gone forever.

3. Sleepy fingers. While the rest of my body lies awake, my fingers are always going to sleep. It's another of the reasons that I wake up in the middle of the night. Nothing like pins and needles to jerk you from peaceful slumber.

4. Constant trips to the bathroom. The middle of the night isn't the only time I have to pee. I am constantly on the way to or from the restroom. When M and I are out, I am always looking for a bathroom, and even Otis is getting used to the constant up and down of me going to the bathroom. He doesn't even follow me out of the room anymore until he makes sure I'm headed somewhere more interesting.

5. My aching ears. This one is weird- I've not read anything about it in any books or on any websites. My ears have become insanely sensitive. I haven't been able to wear earrings in about 26 weeks because they make my earlobes itch. I already had sensitive ears, so all of my earrings are the "sensitive ear" kind. Also, I have to be careful how I lay my head down. If my ears are on anything other than pillow or if they are "crinkled over" or anything is at all amiss, I can't stand it. Yet again, it wakes me up at night. I have tiny ears...the fact that they are waking me up because they are folded over just annoys me.

That's likely enough whining about being pregnant. I love that I am having a baby...I love my baby, and I don't even know her. I just can't handle the pregnant part of it. It's so obnoxious. I'm almost done, I just have to get these off my chest: the chocolate cravings, the hormonal swings, the exhaustion, the imbalance, and the headaches are just a few more things that are grating on my nerves.

That being said, I am done, and I hope that doesn't make me a bad mother!!

Here's also a shout out to KF in Buffalo...I hope you aren't buried under snow! Stay warm...

1 comment:

die Frau said...

Oh, little mama, thank you for thinking of me in the midst of your pregnant woes! Check out my blog for the details of Buffalo but rest assured that I am INCREDIBLY fortunate and never lost power or even cable.

This references another blog of yours: My friend D. advises you to check out Am-Vets for baby toys. Some of them have really good stuff. And there are a few places that have good wooden toys but of course I can't remember what the names are.

And happy belated anniversary! So sorry I forgot to send you something!!!