Sunday, October 08, 2006

Baked apple slices

So I came across a recipe online that I was able to tweak for the baked apples with marshmallows. They turned out to be absolutely fabulous, so I wanted to share. I cut the rcipe in half as it was just me and M, but I'm giving you the full quantities. Enjoy...

Baked Apple Slices

4c sliced apples
1c sugar
1/2 c AP flour
1 stick butter
1/2 c water
cinnamon
salt

Place sliced apples into a 9x13 baking dish. Mix together the sugar, flour, and butter until crumbly. (I added a lot of cinnamon to this mixture, but the original recipe only called for a dash of cinnamon added on top. M really loves cinnamon, though.) Sprinkle mixture over apples. Pour water over the top, sprinkle with cinnamon and a dash of salt. Bake at 350 until apples are almost done (depending on how soft you want your apple slices, I guess) and "sauce" is golden and bubbly. Top with marshmallows and return to oven to melt.

You could also add nuts, but I thought it was really good without. The marshmallows were a nice addition to something pretty standard, but don't overdo it as the sauce is pretty sweet on its own, and I wouldn't want to send anyone into insulin shock. Also, after about twenty minutes, I turned the oven up to 450 as I was also making biscuits. I don't suppose it made much difference except to speed up the cooking time a bit.

Oh, I also wanted to mention that the Vols kicked Georgia's tails last night, and it was awesome. I had been concerned that the only thing UT would win in Athens would've been a foot race between Smokey and Uga. I was pleasantly surprised.

No comments: