Thursday, March 08, 2007

Pair of sixes

Baby girl is six weeks old today. Six weeks. I feel like she should be getting a report card. I can't believe my little girl is growing up so fast. We took her to meet baby A last night, and I'm afraid that S could've swallowed the baby. It was bizarre looking at them together because A is almost exactly the same size S was at birth, and S is twice that size now. Crazy.

The other six? That would be size six jeans. My size six jeans. My pre-pregnant jeans on my post-pregnant butt. How happy was I when those suckers zipped and buttoned? Pretty happy...I have to say. It's official- now I can go buy a new pair. I still have about seven pounds to lose to be back at my fighting weight (according to the vicious scale yesterday at my check-up), but I can handle that.


Beyond all that- I found a new website that I love. It's in the links now...Smitten Kitchen. Fabulous. I also had a thought the other day, which I'm incapable of not sharing as I only average about one thought a day. Since I'm on the no-dairy diet and I'm trying to limit my intake of gassy and acidic veggies, I'm already starting to get tired of the menu around here. I need some variety. Then I remembered that Feathernester has mentioned before that she has been looking for realistic recipes for dinner, and I know that DieFrau is always on the lookout for healthy things her DF can eat. And I know that some of you are awesome and healthy gourmets so, I thought that I'd start sharing some of the things that we eat for dinner that fit the bill. Here's the catch- I'm
begging you to reciprocate. I can only eat so many stir fried veggies before I go insane...and before M starts to vehemently object.

Last night I made chicken soup (that we took to baby A's house). Here's the recipe:


CHICKEN SOUP


Kosher salt

Freshly cracked black pepper

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1C roughly chopped celery

1C roughly chopped baby carrots

1bag frozen flat dumplings
(I use Reames', which are located by the ravioli in our freezer section)
Parsley flakes


Season the chicken with the salt and pepper, and roast at 400 degrees until cooked through. When cool, thinly slice chicken. Boil about 3 quarts of water (or homemade chicken stock if you're super fancy), and add the appropriate amount of bouillon. Add veggies and boil for ten minutes. Add dumplings and continue boiling for 20 minutes. Add chicken and simmer 10 minutes. Sprinkle with enough parsley that you're happy with the amount of green. Done. YUMMY.

Last thing, I swear. I made baked French toast Saturday morning when C and M were visiting. Also yummy. Either way, M was in charge of fixing our plates while I tended to baby. This is what I sat down to. What a way to start a weekend!!

1 comment:

feather nester said...

Oooh, you just got a lot of people mad at you. No, just kidding, not actually mad at you. Mad that life isn't fair and we don't all have the same metabolisms. I think another mother we know (who shall remain nameless because I have no business discussing her weight even though I'm about to say something very nice about it) got back to her weight after a year, and she looks amazing and more beautiful than ever. But still. She was reasonable and took a year. You, on the other hand, have lost your head along with your baby weight. It would be so much easier to hate you if I didn't love you so much (and if I didn't know that you eat pretty dang healthy and spend very little time sitting on your size 6 caboose and therefore deserve all this good fortune). Anyway, I am proud of and happy for you. And will reciprocate by sharing recipes with you that I will pretend are healthy, but are really laden with butter and fat and sugar that I'm hoping you won't notice while your mixing them in your little bowls. :)