Sunday, February 18, 2007

Happy little trees

I had my first pseudo-breakdown of motherhood Friday night about 11. Baby girl kept acting like she was going to go to sleep, but it just wasn't happening. We had moved the party up to the bedroom about 9:30 because she had fallen asleep in my arms in the living room and we were both ready to hit the sack. M fell asleep pretty quickly and very soundly. He must've been exhausted (or drugged) because he slept right through S's worst screaming fit to date. She wasn't happy nursing. She wasn't happy bouncing. She wasn't happy walking. After about an hour of trying everything I could to calm her, she puked all over me. That was all I could handle as I stood at the end of the bed, holding the crying baby, soaked in baby vomit. I woke M up, and handed off the baby on the verge of tears. I ended up sitting in the bathroom and crying for a few minutes. Once I'd pulled it together, I headed back out into battle. M had managed to calm her enough that she would nurse, and she fell asleep within ten minutes. It wasn't a horrible experience, but it wasn't fun.

She made up for it by sleeping until about 9 yesterday morning.
Once she finally woke up, she was pretty content to just hang out, and M and I flipped on the TV. Bob Ross was on...painting a mountain scape and happy little trees. This is when M revealed his childhood thoughts on painter Bob. When M was young, he thought the show was broadcast from prison because of Bob Ross's clothes. I laughed for several minutes.

Baby girl was good for the rest of the day, allowing us to run some errands. It was, all in all, a fairly "normal" day.

This morning, we took S to church for the first time. She was remarkably good. She started to get a little fussy at one point, so I was ready to go to the nursery and feed her. She calmed down as soon as I stood up, so I held her in the lobby and watched the church service through the windows. I took her in for communion, and the guest priest blessed her at the altar, which was pretty cool. Now we're home, and M and I are looking forward to our Sunday afternoon nap.

1 comment:

die Frau said...

To be fair, the whole "Bob Ross painting from prison" was an urban legend. However, it was, indeed, a myth. Sorry, M!