Friday, February 09, 2007

Baptism by fire

Well, kind of. My family had been here since Monday afternoon. They left this morning around 11:30. Things were going pretty well. S had a bit of a tummy ache again, but nothing I couldn't handle...not to mention "nothing I won't have to handle." So, off the family went, merrily on the road back to Tennessee. I gave baby girl a bath, nursed her, and put her in her wrap. I went downstairs and threw in a load of laundry. I ate some lunch and made a couple of phone calls as S fell asleep. In the midst of one of the phone calls, baby girl decided she was no longer comfortable, and she started wailing. While taking her out of her wrap, I heard Otis puking in the dining room for the second time in about an hour. I put her in her car seat so I could clean up the dog vomit. She started squirming. I put down the Resolve, and went to check on her. I found her in a puddle of her freshest batch of butterscotch pudding. I am not exaggerating when I call it a puddle. We're talking accumulation, folks. Of course, her entire backside was soaked. Back upstairs we went to clean her up and change her. I managed to peel off her "All Things Grow with Love" onesie without spreading the poop and getting it on her head. The poop had managed to get all the way to her underarms of its own volition. Once she was changed, I managed to get her calm and back to sleep after about thirty minutes of rocking and shhhhh-ing.

Since then, I've managed to shower, clean up the dog vomit, put the poopy clothes in the washer, and dismantle the car seat, which will promptly be thrown into the washer once the clothes are done. I also need to re-assemble the guest bedroom and bathroom as M's family arrives later this afternoon. I suppose this is motherhood, huh? One thing after another after another...

I can do this. I think. Of course, I may do it as a bald woman, as I may pull my hair out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

call us if you need some valium... although you can't actually take it since you're providing sustenance for another human being. I think you're just sol. but seriously, call if you need something. I'll be glad to help!!!

Les

feather nester said...

Apparently all things grow with poop included, huh?

monkeymama said...

I am really enjoying being able to live vicariously through babyhood again. The blog is one of the highlights of my day. My kids antics aren't nearly as endearing as S. E did break her bed today. At least she thought she did. It made for a great cause/effect lesson for not jumping on the bed. I think WM loosened a screw just to throw her off(yes, literally and figuratively).

Rock on- you are doing a great job, Kiddo Mom extrodinaire