Thursday, August 13, 2009

you learn something new everyday.

We've been out of the house for several days now as the floors get refinished. We're staying at my daddy's house. Here are some things that I've learned in the past four days.
  • Otis can be trusted off a leash. This is a really wonderful discovery that M still doesn't trust.
  • S is destined to become a world-famous dancer. She has watched my sisters' dance recitals non-stop since Monday. We're all getting a smidgen sick of it.
  • I love Dickson County. We went to downtown Franklin on Tuesday, and there are some awesome shops there with some awesome stuff, but I really, truly love the lack of attitude in Dickson. I refuse to purchase anything from a store where no one speaks to me (unless they are super busy). It's like Drum Eatenton says, "an ounce of pretension is worth a pound of manure."
  • My sisters' have the world's greatest book sitting above their computer. It's The Words You Should Know by David Olsen. It's a little dictionary of "1200 essential words every educated person should be able to use and define." It's crazy cool. Most of the words are words that you know, but today I learned the meaning of the word "bugaboo." It's an object of fear. Something that causes worry or dismay. Okay, so now I have to wonder who the genius is that named Bugaboo strollers. And, um, would you buy one knowing the literal meaning of the name? I don't think I would.

That is all.

1 comment:

die Frau said...

1. Thank you for the vocab lesson! My favorite one like that was realizing that while "la esposa" means "wife" in Spanish, "las esposas" means "handcuffs". Hmmm....

2. I love that you quoted Drum Eatenton (and that I know who that is).

3. Here's hoping my mother never figures out how to turn our old school play videos into DVDs. I would never hear the end of it if my children saw me in my first grade play.