Wednesday, June 10, 2009

a lack of motivation

Today is one of those days. One of those days that I don't actually want to do anything. That's not a good thing when you've got a nice, long list of things to do. In fact, it's a key ingredient in a recipe for a disastrous Friday night. Alas, I am sitting here at the computer instead of working on bid sheets or wrapping baskets or writing artist descriptions.

I've been trying to take it a little easier this week because I don't want to wreck my back before Friday evening. I can't afford for that to happen, and sitting on the couch, alternating ice and heat, is, for me, a surefire way to make me want to stay on the couch. Reading. Or napping. Yeah, napping. But, I feel guilty taking up real estate on the couch, so I get up and mill about and avoid doing the things I should be doing. I am just seriously unmotivated. Anyone know a cure for that?? If you do, please, for the love of Pete, tell me now.

6 comments:

Strongmama said...

margaritas, margaritas, margaritas. and if it doesn't motivate you, which it probably won't, at least you won't feel guilty about lazing on the couch. Everybody needs a day off now and then.

Sarah Berry said...

I really wish I was there to help out!! I was the project manager of all three art galas at my museum and everything you're saying sounds soooo familiar. It's SO much work.

I say to rest and recharge your batteries so you can be a Better You on Friday night!

Unknown said...

I know how you feel (kinda). Now I'm back on a work schedule, dishes are piling up and cat-hair-dust-bunnies are forming an army :( But when I'm home I just have no energy for such things...

die Frau said...

Oogh... lack of motivation...you are talking about my life. Right now I've been sitting at work for an hour and have I graded a single senior essay? No, I've been futzing around on the Internet.

How 'bout three things here, five things there? Didn't you mention that a long time ago in an entry? Walk into a room, pick up three items, put them where they need to go, move on. To the couch with an ice pack, if necessary. For an hour.

Perhaps this is a great time to pull a Mary Poppins on S? Make the job a game??? Like you haven't tried that one yet, right? :-P

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hey this is a new idea. I read this story for school that discussed the psychology of procrastination. This guy apparently made a list of things he had to do from the hardest to the easiest. As he looked at the first item he would start it, but out of the unwillingness to do it, he would start the next item on the list so he could avoid doing the first, harder thing. Once he finished the next item, he would go back to that first hard item. Again out of procrastination, he would delay again and do the third item on his list. This would continue until all he had left was the first thing on his list, which he finally completed. Now I know know that you ARE NOT a procrastinator. But, I have used this method and found it works great.
Just something fun I thought I would share with you.

Wonderland said...

Oh Honey, I didn't know you had a hurty back. I am so sorry, I think almost all of us can empathize with how much that particular injury can affect your whole life. One thing I would like to say is that there is a difference between "unmotivated" and "injured". Your body is currently asking you (begging you!) to take it easy for a few days so it can heal itself. Please, listen to your body when it tells you those things.