Wednesday, October 24, 2007

stop staring at me, swan

So, Scarlet Lily had a moment. One of those "I'm seriously about to lose it" moments. She's not the only one, though, as I'm pretty sure that S almost went medieval on the refrigerator door yesterday.

In addition to taking things out of bookcases and banging on our wine glasses, she is now really trying to figure out what's inside of things. She realizes that doors open and that there are things on the other side. Some examples? The pantry. The dishwasher. The aforementioned refrigerator. Making dinner last night was an adventure...a new game I like to call kitchen tag. If I needed something out of the pantry, I'd rush to it, fling the door open, grab whatever I might need, and try to slam the door shut before S could get there. It was like watching Rachael Ray on speed, if that's even something that can be imagined. Anyway, the same went for the dishwasher and the fridge. The dishwasher situation is a little scarier as there are knives in there, so I have to be extra careful with that one.

At one point, I was digging vegetables out of the drawer at the bottom of the fridge, and I just couldn't get in and out fast enough to keep S out of the fridge, so I just stood out of the way and decided to let her explore a little. At first, I was holding the door open, then I decided that was for the birds and if she wanted to play in the fridge, she could take care of the door herself. That's when it got funny. The door would slowly close and hit her in the butt. She would turn around and give it a very mean look and push it away as hard as she could. Satisfied with having taken action and defended herself against the overly aggressive door, she would turn around again to play. Needless to say, the door kept coming back. She would get more and more frustrated. Giving the door more and more menacing scowls, pushing the door harder and harder. It was completely hysterical. Eventually she more or less gave up and started playing with the things in the door.

As harrowing as the game of kitchen tag was while I tried to make dinner, watching my daughter become completely indignant made it all worth it.

Happy Wednesday, folks.

2 comments:

Sarah Berry said...

That is so great!! I love the idea of little S scowling at the nerve of the door. Priceless.

feather nester said...

Oh, that's awesome. I'm sitting here laughing out loud at your sweet, curious, and apparently assertive daughter. Glad she is standing up for herself already.