Thursday, January 29, 2009

can this continue?

For those of you who haven't heard, S weighed in at 35 pounds yesterday. That's one pound less than 6 months ago. No big deal. I am not really shocked. I am, however, shocked at her height. 39 inches. THIRTY NINE. One less than 40. She has grown five inches in 6 months. Basically, I keep having a mental picture that involves squishing her down five inches so she'll expand outward like a lump of clay. Then I'd see how she looked at 18 months. I laugh every time I think about it. I am easily amused.

Of course, it has been pointed out to me that you're supposed to double a child's height at age 2 to see how tall they'll be when they're all grown up. According to this insane and blatantly WRONG tactic, S is going to be 6'6". This cannot possibly happen. Feather Nester suggested that I go ahead and find a good tailor now. Shoot me.

This crazy rate of growth also explains something that has always perplexed me about M. Everyone usually assumes that he had awful growing pains because he's so tall, but he never did. He has always told me that he never really went through a big growth spurt...he just always grew. He's always been tall. Maybe he passed this weird genetic thing on to my daughter. Crap. Maybe she will be 6'6".

3 comments:

die Frau said...

The basketball recruiters will LOVE her. And you'll always have someone to reach things on the top shelf.

T has always been tall but he did have growing pains, apparently. The boy was 6' in fifth grade, poor thing.

Either way, she looks happy!

Kristie said...

I completely understand. Sophie is quite a large child herself. Most people think she is two or older. The other kids her age are a head shorter than she is. When you combine her height with her mouthful of teeth (she has 10) and her vocabulary of over sixty words (yes, she is only 13 months)she seems so much older! She wears a 24m already!

Angie said...

I was talking about S last night to a friend of mine and she said that you double at 2 for boys, at 18 months for girls! So she will be a beautifully perfect 5'8" tall. :)