Tuesday, January 13, 2009

the books by the bed

My aunt Mel gave me a journal for Christmas. Journals aren't really my thing, but I've decided to try to write everyday one or two things that happened that day, one thing that I was thankful for that day, and one thing that I learned. It's been an interesting little exercise so far, as the things I'm thankful for have varied from sunshine to the pediatrician. It's the "things I learned" that are hard. You try to think of one new thing you learned everyday... it's tough.

Anyway, after I finished writing last night, I, for some reason, felt compelled to list all the books that are stacked by my bed so I could share the titles. Here you go...
  • Last Child in the Woods (I am currently loving this, and I'm leaving notes in the margins like crazy.)
  • Lean Mean Thirteen (I generally love Stephanie Plum books because they are so ridiculously funny.)
  • Sew U
  • Outlander (borrowed from Feather Nester...I keep trying...)
  • Animal Vegetable Miracle (I'll be rereading this soon, I'm sure, as I'm practically falling all over myself about ordering seed catalogs for the spring.)
  • The Audacity of Hope
  • Stuff White People Like
  • A Walk in the Woods (when I need a dose of humor)
  • Tennessee Gardener's Guide
  • Gorgeously Green (a total disappointment...I need to return this to my stepmother)
  • The Female Brain
  • Guide to Manners (are you very surprised??)
  • Eastern Trees field guide
  • SuperFoods Rx (an all-time favorite)
  • The Green Gardener's Guide
  • Eat, Play, and Be Healthy
  • The Complete Outdoor Builder (because someday we'll get around to building a deck)
  • Yard and Garden Basics
  • Creating Natural Landscapes
It's an exhausting stack, and most of the books are long since completed, but I like to have them close at hand. I never know when I might want to look something up...so I keep favorites nearby. Of course, some of them are books that I keep trying to read but can't get into.

Oh, and I feel the need to give a shout out to The Creative Family and The Art of Simple Food. Those live in the living room and the kitchen, respectively, and are read constantly when there's downtime.

Clearly, I've linked all these books through Amazon, but if you're going to purchase them, I recommend using this site to find a local, independent bookstore if you can. You can create a book wish list for yourself, too...which will help the next time I need to buy you a gift:)

1 comment:

monkeymama said...

A Walk in the Woods is a fav of mine, too. I have next months book selection. Any good ideas?