Thursday, September 13, 2007

lord of the flies

So, I built the compost bin, right? Did I mention that I'd been hoarding kitchen scraps in a bucket on the back porch for a few days in anticipation of the compost bin? Probably I failed to mention that. Well, I had this bucket (a red bucket with hearts on it, if you were wondering) that I had been throwing apple peels and banana peels and egg shells and such in for a few days. I had noticed that there were flies flocking to the bucket, but I wasn't too worried about it. Then I noticed that the flies were getting a bit aggressive. That's part of the reason that I made sure I got the compost bin finished yesterday (as it was the first day it hadn't rained this week). The flies aren't on the back porch anymore, but they are creating what seems like a new civilization inside the compost bin. I'm not even sure how they're getting in there since there is a lid, but they're in there, and they are feisty. I'm not exactly sure how to get rid of them, though I did read a little blurb yesterday about killing flies by alcohol poisoning. The problem is I don't know where to put the alcohol...because I've got some banana liqueur that I'd be willing to sacrifice. (I only own banana liqueur because it goes in Bananas Foster, I don't drink the stuff. Barf.)

Any other brilliant ideas? I've already covered the food scraps in the bin with newspaper, so don't bother suggesting that.

Oh, and I had a couple of friends over for lunch today. I made the full-sized tomato tart, which was so yummy, that I feel the need to share:

TOMATO BASIL TART
1 piecrust
4-5 small tomatoes, sliced and drained
1-1/2C shredded mozzarella cheese
1C loosely packed fresh basil
4 cloves garlic
1/4C shredded parmesan
1/4C mayonnaise
1/8tsp pepper

Bake the piecrust according to Pillsbury's directions. (Why would you bother making homemade piecrust??). Sprinkle with 1/2C mozzarella and let cool. Arrange tomatoes over cheese. Process basil and garlic and spread over tomatoes. Combine remaining mozzarella, parmesan, mayonnaise, and pepper and spread evenly over basil mixture. Bake at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until top is golden.

This is so yummy. I hope you all run out and make it. I also made the Spinach in Puff Pastry last night. It was delish, too, though M's response was, "I wouldn't call it my favorite thing." As long as he doesn't call it his least favorite thing, I can deal. He'll also have to deal because I will be making it again.

Have a great Thursday, peeps.

No comments: