Friday, November 18, 2011

veggie tales.

So here's the vegetable scoop. I've gotten Yum and Die Frau on board and I randomly hear from them how they're doing with the idea of eating more colors. Here's what I've got.

I've found (what I find to be) a good way to get my veggies for lunch aside from salads, which I never make. I mix a can of pseudo-drained black beans with a can of refried beans and a cup of pureed sweet potato. Then I slather that stuff on a tortilla with a ton of baby spinach and salsa. The bean/sweet potato mixture lasts awhile in the fridge, so I can eat it for several days. Lunchtime veggie crisis solved...until I can't stomach another burrito. That'll take a few weeks at least, so I'm not worrying about it.

I've also been snacking a lot on apples and pears and raw carrots, and I get totally full on all that wonderful soluble fiber, just like I expected. The result is that I think I actually have dropped weight this week. That's excellent and all, but now my pants don't fit.

Also, the fullness doesn't last. I'm not sure if you all know this, but raw veggies have just next to ZERO calories. You already knew that? Okay.

So, I guess even though I am still feeling like my stomach is full, my body needs more. The burrito lunch works fine because there is protein, but my breakfasts of a banana and either Cheerios, oatmeal, or yogurt is not cutting it. I can tell my blood sugar is all wonky during the day.

More veggies at dinner has been great. I just roast some broccoli or carrots and it's so easy that I can't understand why I haven't always served pasta with a side of roasted vegetables. I guess because I didn't grow up with it. Anyway...

I've got mixed feelings. I feel better about eating better, but I don't actually feel better. I am walking around feeling hungry despite not feeling hungry.

I'll let you know how the experiment continues...or if I just finally get so hungry that I eat a wild dog or something. (I've been rereading The Hunger Games this week. I guess that's where the wild dog reference is coming from because I've never even seen a wild dog, so I doubt the opportunity to eat one will arise. Just so you know.)

2 comments:

Va said...

Just add a little protein with your veggies and you should feel fuller longer. Try a 1/4 cup of un-roasted almonds or almond butter to dip your carrots into.

die Frau said...

Good lunch idea: 2 flatbread crackers with 1 HB egg in four slices, 2T avocado, 1oz. cheddar cheese, 2 T salsa. Split the ingredients between the two flatbread crackers. It's surprisingly filling with all the good fat and protein.

1 word: Hummus. Eat that with the carrots and you have more good protein and not too many calories.

Ooh! Stir fry! Even bagged, frozen veggies are ok, yes?

You're awesome!