Wednesday, January 16, 2008

a little politick'n

I'm not entirely sure I'm going to be able to create a coherent post with all the ramblings in my brain today, but I'll give it a shot. It all started with Newsweek. I was reading last week's edition, and they were following Barack Obama around after the Iowa win. I remember when he got a secret service detail because he was getting race-based threats early in the campaign, but I'd honestly forgotten about it because I can't imagine it being an actual issue (anymore than I see Hillary Clinton's gender as an issue). So, when the article mentioned his wife being unable to talk about personal safety concerns for fear that she'll basically lose it, I was floored. I just can't wrap my brain around that kind of intense hatred. What's the point? Who benefits from that? No one. It makes me sick and sad all at the same time. That was where the politics started for me yesterday.

Then, I actually stayed awake to watch the democratic candidates debate last night. I really like watching debates, and it was nice to watch this one with the three front runners. Not that I wanted to write off early candidates, but no one asked them questions in the debates anyway, and it was almost painful to watch them standing there...waiting. I will admit, however, that I missed Joe Biden's ability to answer a question in a sentence. I think that you could ask Obama, Clinton, and Edwards their favorite ice cream flavors and they'd spout off very PC answers cataloging the virtues of every flavor they could think of. (These days...mine's Chocolate Raspberry Truffle from Brewster's if anyone cares.) Anyway...

I'm a big fan of John Edwards. It's hard not to like a guy with such a great southern accent. But great southern accents don't necessarily make you the best presidential candidate out there. Or do they?? Anyway, I'm a big believer in his message. Big. Huge. However, in Tuesday night's debate (as 24 hours have elapsed since I started this post...damned stomach bug) the whole "son of a mill worker" routine had gotten a little old. He almost seemed desperate. I didn't like it. I thought Hillary came off well, though, and Barack Obama was Barack Obama: cool as a cucumber and sharp as a tack. Either way, it's going to be an interesting couple of months...

I'm out, peeps. I have no real train of thought anymore as these thoughts are too old now. Have a great Thursday.

1 comment:

paulo said...

"I'm a big fan of John Edwards."

heh.. funny what you learn about people, no?