Thursday, July 06, 2006

Practically Perfect in Every Way

Last summer, during the Kentucky Theater's summer classic movie series, they played Mary Poppins- my all-time favorite movie. M was out of town and no one would go with me, so I headed downtown for dinner and a movie all by myself, which I had never done before. Dinner was good, but it was weird eating all alone, I'll admit. I headed over to the theater. "It's sold out. Sorry." What?? I was literally devestated. This had been my favorite movie since I was around 8, and I had missed my opportunity to see it on the big screen. I'm pretty sure I called M in San Diego crying.

M drives by the Kentucky every morning, and he noticed last week that Mary Poppins would be played again this year. You can bet I didn't miss it this time, and M got to go with me. It was so fabulous- as brilliantly wonderful as I'd hoped and imagined. Little kids laughing. Grown people like me singing along to all of the songs. Thunderous applause at the end. As we walked back to the car, the two little girls behind us sang "Let's go fly a kite." It was really fantastic, and I was the definition of giddy throughout.

I have wanted to be like Mary Poppins my whole life. Who wouldn't? She's practically perfect in every way! She's beautiful and clever ("We'd better keep an eye on this one. She's tricky.") and imaginative and she sings more beautifully than anyone on the planet. All that and she has a magic carpet bag and a talking parrot umbrella and Dick Van Dyke. I don't know what I'll do if my children don't love Mary Poppins. I think I will take it as a personal insult.

So, a whole blog entry about a children's movie. Here's to all of your favorite childhood movies and memories. Happy Thursday.

3 comments:

die Frau said...

I was so devastated when I realized Julie Andrews didn't have black hair. I felt like her blonde hair was the wig, because I first knew her as Mary Poppins! And I always wanted to slide up the bannister. I have a distinct memory of my sisters and me each jumping off our jungle gym with my white parasol, hoping to take flight. Fortunately nobody ever broke anything.

I was always a fan of the Muppets. I am still a fan--I found all of these old Muppet songs on-line and they're now on my iPod, including "Mahna Mahna". My favorite Disney movie as a little girl, aside from Mary Poppins, was probably Cinderella. I thought she was so, so beautiful and I loved the mice. For live action I loved The Parent Trap. I watched that thing so many times.... That was another blow when I found out they used split screen and there were not actually twins playing the roles. Jeez, I didn't realize my childhood movies were filled with betrayal.

Now my favorites are Finding Nemo (even though I cried about five times) and The Incredibles. Both hilarious and witty and good fun for all ages. Watch them and love them...although there's just something about a musical that I've always loved.

Next year let me know when it's playing and I'll come if I can! I mean it!

monkeymama said...

Hands down, Parent Trap! We actually looked at a house in Germantown to buy, and as we pulled into the drive, Melisse and I both broke out with "Let's Get Together" at the same time. It was just like the dad's cool stone house, minus the coolness- just old, ugly, New Money Germantown. Needless to say, we went with a proper, East Memphis, Brady Bunch style. Boy, do I love the sound of 240 at night.

The girls are quite fond of the princess diaries- but they pronounce them as princess diaharreas. I don't have the heart to tell them any different.

Ouiser said...

I had totally forgotten about the Parent Trap. I get all excited every time it pops up on the "guide" on TV, but I'm always disappointed because it's ALWAYS the Lindsay Lohan version. Always.

You are correct. The Parent Trap was awesome. Bedknobs and Broomsticks anyone?