Sunday, July 02, 2006

Easy like Sunday morning

You know, I have a real soft spot in my heart for old school Lionel Richie. "Easy like Sunday morning," is just a wicked awesome song. There is a point to the unsolicited commentary on easy listening- this morning was in fact pretty laid back. M got up with the dog without my having to win at "rock-paper-scissors." When I did roll out of bed, I brushed my teeth, threw on M's old Northwestern cap, ambled to the top of the stairs, and muttered something about Cracker Barrel. Amazingly, M understood perfectly and followed suit. I had french toast with apples. M had french toast with maple syrup and grapefruit juice. When we got home, I took a nap. Not a bad Sunday altogether- especially when you consider that M washed and cleaned out the Honda for me (even the sticky stuff at the bottom of the cup holder- God bless my husband).

After showers, we headed to Gumbo Ya-Ya for a quick early dinner (yum- red beans and rice) and to the grocery store. Now M's in the backyard encouraging Otis to chase birds. Speaking of Otis- he had a moment today. Otis loves ice cubes. They are his favorite treat (which is great because they are free). I was making lemonade for M this afternoon, and I took the ice cube holder out of the freezer to put a couple of handfuls into the pitcher. Otis ran up to my side for a cube. I dutifully gave him one. Three seconds later, he was back, so I gave him another. After the scenario repeated itself twice, I turned around. He was making a pile of ice cubes. Most of the time, we think Otis hit his head a few too many times as a puppy, but then he has moments like these that make me think he's just playing dumb- you know, like Jessica Simpson claims.

M wants me to announce that Otis just almost caught a squirrel. I'm glad he didn't. That would be gross.

No comments: