Monday, August 01, 2011

a new goal.

A girl needs goals, and I have a new one. We have a lot of books. My books, M's books, the kids' books. I'm going to read them. All of them. There are some books that I've tried to read and couldn't get through, some that belong to M that I've never tried, and some that I don't know where they came from. I'm starting with the shelf in our bedroom. The contents of Shelf One are as follows (The ones that I've read are bolded):

Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
Open by Andre Agassi
For One More Day by Mitch Albom
This I Believe II edited by Jay Allison
Pride and Prejudice
Sense and Sensibility
Emma
Northanger Abbey
Mansfield Park
Persuasion
Lady Susan by Jane Austen
Gourmet Rhapsody
The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barberry
The Templar Legacy by Steve Berry*
Bringing It to the Table
The Art of the Commonplace by Wendell Berry
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
The DaVinci Code
Angels and Demons by Dan Brown
A Walk in the Woods**
I'm a Stranger Here Myself**
In a Sunburned Country
A Short History of Nearly Everything**
The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid
At Home
The Lost Continent**
Neither Here Nor There
Notes from a Small Island**
The Mother Tongue by Bill Bryson
Girl with the Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier
My Life in France by Julia Child
The Green Hour by Todd Christopher
Don't Know Much about History by Kenneth Davis
Geek Dad by Ken Denmead***
The Bluegrass Conspiracy by Sally Denton
Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond
Black Heels to Tractor Wheels by Ree Drummond (Pioneer Woman)
Three Musketeers
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
Tennessee by Wilma Dykeman

*I tried this one last week, but it opened with a pretty graphic torture scene, and I put it away. In the interest of attaining my goal, I almost moved it to another shelf, but I decided that was silly. Instead, I feel obligated to disclose that I am not going to read this book.
**Bill Bryson is easily one of my favorite writers. I want to have a beer with him. Also, all of the starred Bill Bryson books are on loan to others. Some of them have been gone so long that I don't know who has them. If you've got one or more of them, please bring them home. I miss them.
***I'm not going to read this one either.

Once I've finished off shelf number one, I'll move on to the second shelf. I started this insanity last week and read For One More Day. And I re-read The Great Gatsby, which is on Shelf Two. It was amazing. In fact, I'd forgotten how good that book is. I can't wait to see Carey Mulligan play Daisy because I adore her. Did you see An Education? Oh, Carey Mulligan. Oh, Peter Sarsgaard. I swoon.
Other things I can tell you based solely on Shelf One...aside from proclaiming my undying love for Bill Bryson? Muriel Barberry is kind of incredible. The Elegance of the Hedgehog was one of my favorite books that I read last year. I love Alexandre Dumas. And Victor Hugo...though Les Miserables is also Shelf Two.

Basically, I love books. Now, I am going to pursue some less electronic things like playing My Little Pony with S, reading (Jane Eyre today), and a little sewing.

Happy Monday, peeps. And Happy August!!

No comments: