Monday, August 20, 2007

happiness is...

...what?

Baby girl's smile. Her giggle. Her lone tooth, which made it's debut last Wednesday afternoon. Her kisses, which consist of her grabbing my face and licking with a lot of voracity. Happiness is my baby. It's also my husband and my dog and my family and my friends. But this post isn't nearly so noble.

What makes you happy besides all those wonderfully virtuous things? Anyone who says that those are the only things that make them happy is lying. Stuff makes us happy, too. I know it sounds horribly selfish, but it's true, isn't it? I've been thinking about it for a couple of weeks actually. The gospel at church a few weeks ago (and the subsequent sermon) was the parable of the rich fool (Luke 12:13-21). The lesson is (more or less) that being rich in wordly things will get you nowhere...you're supposed to be rich in faith and spirit and love for God. I get it. The sermon, however, made a lot of sense in that erudite, very Episcopalian way that I've grown to love.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I don't love me some Jesus. I do. But giving away one's possessions and acting as if material things are unimportant? That's not really a viable option. A girl's got to pay the rent, right? Anway.

The sermon discussed that even those noble pursuits such as friendship and love and motherhood cost money. Anyone who's been on the receiving end of medical bills after giving birth knows what I'm talking about. The idea is free, the reality is expensive. I keep getting off track here.

The priest eventually got around to discussing actual possessions..something I know a lot about. The parable of the rich fool normally makes me feel like a selfish hoard of crap. I think it was a brilliant bit of writing that gets people to give money to the church. Again, I digress. The priest asked everyone to think of their favorite possession. Very favorite. He declared that it wasn't un-Christian to love something other than your family and the Big Man as long as you don't love it more than your family and the Big Man. He talked about it being okay for things to make you happy, but that you should share that happiness. If food makes you happy, okay. But share that love. Reach out to your fellow man and engage them in that love. Does that make sense? Probably not as I'm not doing a very good job of putting my thoughts into words here.

Anyway, think of your favorite things. What are they? Why do they make you happy? Make sure you appreciate them often, and share them with your family and your friends. As for me, I couldn't think of one thing because I don't think I have a favorite thing. But my favorite stuff? It's probably all of my cookware and dishes. It makes me so happy to cook for people and to put it all out on pretty plates with pretty napkins and the whole nine yards. I'd like to think that I do a pretty good job of sharing that love.

So, happy Monday. Share the love.

Oh, and don't forget to appreciate all those noble things like babies and husbands and pets, too. In fact, I can't wait for my slobbering, sleeping baby to wake up so I can appreciate her...meaning I'm going to kiss all over her stinky little face and laugh and laugh and laugh at her. I love my life.

This is the most random post ever. Ever.

1 comment:

monkeymama said...

well put, kiddo! The whole possessions thing can really become overwhelming(especially when you have multiple kids). They want everything they see on the idiot box(thanks to the Godless whores of Disney...sorry, but true). Our society has taught us and our children that we deserve to have everything. It is a hard lesson to teach your child that just because Susie so and so has this means we can have this. I never knew that my parents struggled to give me what I had as a child, but I know now how much they sacrificed so that I could have all that I felt entitled to...I want different things for my kids. Sorry-- I know that this is rambling. I have lots of thoughts in my head about this, but it is late and I have a headache...

As for what I love-most of our things are still packed away because nothing else will fit in this cramped rental house. That can really make you think about the things that you just "have to have". Like all my pottery, it makes me happy, but I am okay with it being in a box right now. I would not be okay with my sewing machine being boxed away. I do love all the goodies that go with what used to be my sewing room(now just a corner in the bedroom... :(
It is only for a season, and our family can weather anything. I do miss my honking big ole kitchen...that was love