Tuesday, June 07, 2011

three things.

Thing one: I love insurance. I do. It enables me to be sick and not broke. However, it is a pain in the rear. I'm currently on the phone trying to sort out a claim from T's initial well-child visit. It's hard to get answers from an automaton.

Thing two: If you eat protein at every meal (even just a little) you will almost never be hungry. I have learned this from my no/low-sugar diet. Amazingly when I'm not craving sugar, I'm not craving anything. I have to remind myself to eat because I have to eat to make milk, and T needs the super milk. Try it out. Today I had some leftover chicken (about 1.5 ounces) on a whole wheat tortilla with corn, roasted red pepper, and spinach. And I'm happily full...and I doubt I'll even think about food (other than to blog about it) for hours.

Thing three: I am getting old. Want to know how I know? The people around me are getting older. Take, for example, the junior bridesmaids and flower girl from our wedding. I was going to post a picture, but my scanner is dead as a doornail. So trust me. The oldest was 14 when M and I tied the knot. Two others were 12, one was 11, and the youngest was seven.

But now? Now Hillary, the oldest, is 20. She just finished her second year of college. Sarah and Abbe are both 18 and have now graduated from high school. Susannah turned 17 yesterday, and she's gearing up for her senior year of high school. And Olivia, my youngest sister, is 14 and starting high school in the fall. So, while simple math can enlighten me to their ages (and to my own, you'd think), it takes seeing these girls all growing up before my eyes to make me feel like a geriatric. I believe I shall get my wish of being an old southern lady sooner than I think. That's how I feel at least. Maybe I'll go by some supportive undergarments to help the transition into my golden years.

I'll leave you with a picture from Sarah's graduation on Saturday. I may be old, but I do not have to act like it.
Please note that Susannah (aka The Short One*, S3, Little Fairy) was very ill. She might want me to explain why this isn't her best photograph. There is no excuse for me.

*Funny how I call her the short one, eh? In comparison, I'd be the tall one, and I'm not quite 5'4". I'm 5'3-3/4". My family is not blessed with immense height. Thank goodness my children seem to take after their father. They may never have to climb grocery shelves for dry goods.

1 comment:

Paper Bird and Little Fairy said...

thank you for explaining the sickness so plainly seen in that photo, i do look rather icky. however, i turned 17 TODAY. hmm. i thought the old ouiser that always got my birthday wrong (july 6th) had gone away. i'm giving you a little lax, perhaps a typing error, you of all people make those ya know. sister points down right now, hope the present's awesome:)
LF