Friday, November 21, 2008

a sweet weekend

It's just around the corner. It's so close you can almost taste it. You think I'm talking about Thanksgiving, which I am seriously anxious for, but I'm actually talking about the holiday baking season. It's like March Madness in the kitchen. I've been patiently waiting, but all the holiday displays and sewing I've been doing around here have me jonesing for some goodies. However, I'm not ready to bust out all the ingredients and start making the season's first batch of cookies (which is always peanut butter kiss cookies). So, to tide me over until next weekend, or at least until tomorrow, I've made a little concoction with the things I had in the cabinets. I melted a bag of semisweet chocolate chips and stirred in a 1/2 cup of dried cranberries, a 1/2 cup of pecan pieces, and about 1/2 tsp of orange zest. I'll let you know if it turns out...I can't think of a single reason why it wouldn't. And, frankly, it's pretty healthy. For candy.

On the creation front, I have successfully made the first Ouiser snuggie. It is made from tie-dyed fleece and therefore looks like an insane hippie monk should be eating pot brownies on your couch. I can safely say that I believe I have made vast improvements on the Snuggie, and I declare all Snuggies bought from TV inferior to the Ouiser snuggie. Mine has the foot pocket that I promised, so your feet stay safely tucked under the blanket, and mine has a kangaroo pocket. It is perfection. Made out of fleece. I'll be making a High School Musical version and a gray fleece version this weekend. My family is going to love me this Christmas. They just might not appreciate the genius right away. I've managed to whip out a couple more little odds and ends in the past few days, and I'll share pictures later. For now, I'm going to clean all the thread off the desk and off the floor.

Have a great weekend.

2 comments:

Wonderland said...

I totally thought that snuggies should have a kangaroo pocket! You're very smart.

Leslie said...

Perhaps you could apply for a patent?

Baking season, YES! I am also excited. My roommate and I both brought home about 2 lbs of butter each this past week in anticipation for baking. Some of it is already gone :)