Friday, July 11, 2008

peas and carrots

So, I've come to the realization that S's diet needs to expand to things beyond grapes, blueberries, bananas, and one waffle a day. Actually, that's not a fair assessment, she asks for a cookie every night after dinner. Really, I know her diet isn't bad. She does generally eat what we eat for dinner, though she still refuses to eat meat. However, our days consist mostly of the child running around begging for grapes.

Look, I know they're just grapes. I know that she isn't begging for Starburst, so I should count my blessings. If you think that, I invite you to witness the "grape sh!t."

(Ouiser moment..."This is football, Clairee. All people care about are touchdowns and injuries. They don't give a d@mn about that grape sh!t.")

Anyway, S's poop is out of control. It is a very, very blackish purple. (I know that some of you out there wish that I would learn the concept of TMI.) She has to have more variation in her diet. It's been this week's quest. Luckily, they had organic apples for the first time in ages at Kroger last weekend, so I got some of those. (Don't even ask me how far they had to travel to get to our house. I don't know, and at this point, I can't think about it.) So, she has had at least one other fruit this week. I'm able to cut the apples into chunks, so she can carry them around and eat them out of her little snack cups. That seems to make her happy enough, but when she runs out, she still asks for more "gapes." Yesterday, however, I successfully got steamed carrots into the child, along with some peas, so I felt like I had just won a heavyweight fight. I've gotten her to eat a little more cheese by learning that she doesn't like cheese cut into cubes, she likes it in thin slices. She's also been drinking chocolate milk like it's going out of style, though she doesn't seem to take down Ovaltine as well as Hershey's syrup. Go figure. (Can anyone explain to me why Ovaltine gives the milk a slightly pink tint? Creepy.)

Basically, most of my week has revolved around S's digestive system, but not in the nasty way it did last week or the way Feathernester's did this week.

Okay, hours later...I'm back to the computer. I'm sure I won't be doing S's tummy any favors with the super-ripe blackberries that I picked up this morning from the Farmer's Market. I got them from a friend of my granddaddy's, which I thought was fun. I'm going to try out these muffins with them. I'm off to shower, peeps. Have a lovely weekend.

FIVE SENSES FRIDAY
Sight: red juice oozing out of cherries, the inside of S's mouth stained purple from last night's blueberry pancakes

Sound: Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious (S has become obsessed with "Poppins." That's my girl...practically perfect in every way.)

Smell: blueberry pancakes

Touch: S's sticky hands from ice cream cones

Taste: cherries, hot fudge sundaes, those yummy blueberry pancakes

2 comments:

Strongmama said...

You know I feel your pain with the poop. Because J has a sore throat he only wants bananas, blueberries, and ice cream, so you can imagine the fun we're having with that combination. J begs for bananas all day long even if he's just had one minutes before. And he won't each cheese at all unless it's melted on pizza or in a black bean quesadilla. Once in awhile he will eat it shredded, but that's rare. And yet he still loves those lima beans. I guess there's no telling what they will eat from one day to the next.

die Frau said...

I'm so trying those muffins with all our wild blackberries--yum!

I wouldn't eat cheese unless it was on pizza or some other form of Italian until my SENIOR YEAR OF COLLEGE. Yes, I'm a freak.