Tuesday, July 24, 2007

papa was a rolling stone

My apologies for all the negativity yesterday. That whole Harry Potter thing's had me really torn up. I promise lots of cheeriness today. At least cheery for me. I doubt many of you would describe me as a "cheery" person, though I did love me some Cheer Bear growing up.

Know what I love about summer? Stone fruits. We had peaches (and grapes and popovers) for dinner Monday night, and it was simply divine. Light, juicy happiness on a plate. Then I had another peach for lunch yesterday. It was so good, I had to go to the store to get more. It's not just peaches, though. Cherries. Plums. Nectarines. I love them all. They make me positively giddy. Not to mention how they make the whole house smell. Oh my yum. I love this time of year just for the produce. I know it's all mental, but all the wonderful flavors and colors of summer just kick winter's root vegetables in the arse...not that I don't love those, too. I hope S loves it all as much as I do.

I'm also having to figure out some new things to do with zucchini this summer. Despite crossing my fingers and muttering tiny little prayers to the tastebud gods, M really doesn't care for it, and I can only eat so much zucchini. I've given some away, but I'm growing the stuff, I'd like to enjoy as much of it as possible. So I made zucchini bread yesterday for the first time. So much better than I'd anticipated. I also ran across a recipe for fried zucchini blossoms, which doesn't sound very appealing...you literally take the male flower from the plant and fry it. Fried petals? Not so much. Either way, I welcome any suggestions for zucchini. I'd love to try Ina's zucchini gratin, but there's no way that M would even consider trying it, so I'm afraid I'd have the whole thing to eat myself, which is not an option.

Last but not least: S turns SIX MONTHS OLD today. I can't believe it. To celebrate her upcoming half-year status, she gifted us with her first big girl poop yesterday. By "big girl" I mean solid poopers that had to be flicked into the potty. I already miss the days of being able to throw
everything into the washing machine. How gross am I? Am I really writing about this??

Okay, I have to go make birthday cupcakes and devour some of the cherries that I picked up when I got peaches yesterday. Everyone have a very pleasant Wednesday, and go eat a peach to celebrate summer and S's birthday...but not if you're allergic (CFC), which would totally suck.
Here's today's gratuitous shot of S...please note the leftover avocado from dinner smeared beside her nose.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
feather nester said...

I LOVE zucchini bread. I have a great recipe for it that includes orange juice. So yummy. Let me know if you want it. Will M eat it in bread form maybe? Or fried? I don't know about the fried flower, but the actual zucchini fried? Another favorite of mine.

paul and kelly said...

zucchini--oh how i love summer zucchini. we often grill it with other vegetables with a little olive oil and kosher salt.
recently i've been making what i call grassy knoll scrambled bowl. start with turkey bacon in a pan, put sliced zucchini on top in the pan with the bacon, once cooked take out and set to side. put in eggs that have already been beat with a touch of milk, salt and pepper. begin scrambling eggs, once eggs are more than halfway done throw in chopped pieces of turkey bacon and chopped slices of zucchini and finish scrambling. i often add a little colby cheese toward the end. there you have it, kelly's grassy knoll scrambled bowl. i'm not sure if you would like it but paul and i both find it quite delicious.
kel