Wednesday, July 18, 2007

jumping on the soapbox

Okay. I'm jumping on mowask's soapbox. Not in my usual ranting-and-raving style...mostly just agreeing with her. Thanks to her I found the greatest website today. Oompa toys. I think I've mentioned before how much I like simple toys for S, and we've been fortunate so far in that no one has gifted us any insane screeching fire engines or light up princess dolls or other such nonsense. People have given her simple plush toys and teething toys and squishy blocks. Stuff like that. I really, really like the thought of developing S's motor skills and creativity through play. It's a more appealing option that sitting her in front of crazy toys that she just zonks out in front of. Of course, I realize that the day of Disney Princess Mania will come. I know it's unavoidable. I know I'll be hard pressed to tell her that she can't have the toys that she wants and all of her friends have. I can only hope that we'll raise her in a manner that allows her to be more interested in interacting and actually playing. Besides, most of the crazy light up toys are expensive...and they get boring quickly, being brandished to the bottom of the toy bin. I'd like to forego that whole scenario. I mean, one of her favorite toys right now is an empty water bottle. The other favorites being her teething beads, her colorful squishy blocks, Spike the Dinosaur, and a globe rattle. M and I are particularly fond of the globe rattle. Yea for our little geographer.

Oh, yeah. I almost forgot to mention that she's had sweet potatoes now. I have yet to take pictures, however. I'll try to remember tonight. She devours the sweet potatoes. Devours. It's hysterical. I'm waiting for the sweet potato poopers. Not with bated breath in the traditional way...more like holding my breath for fear of the stink.

I am, however, waiting three more days for Harry Potter with bated breath.

4 comments:

feather nester said...

I LOVE Oompa! I don't remember how I first found them. And I've never yet purchased anything from them. But I know I will. We have a great toy store in Tucson, Mrs. Tiggywinkle's, that I love visiting. They sell European toys of that style that you describe, which I also highly value.

Regarding sweet potatoes, I think my nephew is also obsessed, though he's on the solids now. Sweet potato fries, I believe, are a common snack in that household now. Hey, you could do a lot worse.

Anonymous said...

We avoided these types of toys for the first couple of years but then all of a sudden... here they came. There are some people in our lives that just don't get it. They continually give us things that require batteries and make very load and irritating noises. Until recently, I had him convinced that the toy was broken when the batteries ran out. He has smarted on to my plans and finds the batteries and screw driver and replaces them. While he likes these toys in the short run, it is his legos and playmobil that he goes back to. Don't be surprised if some of these obnoxious toys find there way into a box before his little brother arrives.

Anonymous said...

The silent toys are great; we love Spike. I find J can be pretty creative with the noisy toys as well as the quiet ones. For example, the leap frog learning table can be flipped upside down and stood and balanced on to create a makeshift musical surfboard. Or, it can be dragged around the room by one leg so it can play the alphabet song as he chases the cats. Books are his best friend though. And sweet potatoes fries and lima beans. Feathernester is right on that one. The yuckiest poopers of all, I believe, come from blueberries.

die Frau said...

OK, I did have Barbies--lots of Barbies. However, my favorite toys: Lincoln Logs, Legos, and (seriously) one of those cup-and-ball toys. And, of course, tons and tons of BOOKS.