Monday, June 16, 2008

a happy daddy's day

Let's start by saying that it was a great Father's Day in the Ouiser household. I hope all the daddies out there had great days, too.

Now back it up to last week. I think I forgot to mention that S puked all over me last week. That was on Tuesday. It was pretty uneventful, and I thought maybe she'd just eaten something that disagreed with her or that she'd gotten really upset and too hot when she wanted me to get her up from her nap. Whatever the cause, it was legitimate vomit, and it was all over me, one of the porch swings, and the front porch itself. She felt better afterward, though. Then she started getting some nasty eye boogers and a few sniffles, and then she had bags under her eyes and big blue circles. Then Friday, the snot arrived. By the bucketload. When she woke up Saturday morning with her eyes all but crusted shut and dried yellowish gray mucus all over her face, we decided to take her into the doctor's office. It's the first time the kid has ever been to the doctor for anything other than a check-up, so it was weird. She is on antibiotics for the first time in her life, and it seems to be working, which is a good thing as M and I are headed to NY for Scarlet Lily's wedding this weekend.

Her ailment, however, nearly messed up our daddy's day plans. We got M a membership to the Nashville Zoo as a gift. S and I took him to Dunkin' Donuts for coffee and donuts (duh) yesterday morning, and then we headed to Nashville. We had a really nice morning. We got there at 9 just as the zoo opened, so it wasn't hot or crowded. Unfortunately, S was a bit if a zombie, though she did perk up when she got to the petting zoo. She petted a goat, and then continued to say "GOOOOAT" and "animals more" for about fifteen minutes. She didn't last long after that, which foiled my plan to take M to Baja Burrito for lunch on the way home, but that's okay. I made him popovers for lunch, which were his only request for the weekend, so that worked out nicely. Then we took his dad to Cracker Barrel for dinner (the man ate so much that he put us to shame). On the way to dinner, we passed the Renaissance Center, and S started screaming "ball" over and over. Click here to see why. M found it totally hysterical.

Anyway, that's our weekend in a very tiny nutshell. It was actually a great weekend despite the sickness as we got to spend a lot of time together doing very little. Now it's back to normal...

Here are a few pics. You can tell the poor kid was totally out of it at the end. As M and I look quite happy despite that fact, you may choose to question our parenting skills. We probably deserve it.


Kristie said...

I love how you put S in an animal print outfit to take her to the zoo! Love it!

Les said...

Ugh! You guys are SO freaking adorable! I can't wait to see you on Friday!


Strongmama said...

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who takes her kid out when he has a runny nose and is on medicine. I have some friends that quarantine their kid for a week every time they sneeze. Sorry about the vomit, though. That's just too gross.