Tuesday, November 13, 2007

alone

Did anyone else happen to catch Oprah yesterday? I haven't watched Oprah in about a decade, but my FIL was here yesterday afternoon after his doctor's appointment, and I guess that's what he watches at 4. Anyway, it was one of those "wish come true" days and Celine Dion was on the show. I didn't catch much of it at all, but I did see the last three minutes of Celine singing. She's apparently releasing a new album today, and the first single is "Alone." You know, the song by Heart? Let me tell you now, the Celine version was awful. Horribly, horribly horrible. I had to leave the room.

Just thought I'd fill you in...

S and I are, in fact, alone today as M is at a conference in Memphis. We were going to try to make it a little family trip to the River City, but it was too much to try to throw at S as we'll be traveling again next week for Thanksgiving.

Speaking of...well, speaking of speaking. I have once again misled you all. S doesn't really speak, though I do think she is making the connection between "hi" and "bye" and waving. She'll say "hi" when you walk into a room. Last week was the first "bye bye." Our friend M was over, and as she turned to leave, S just said, "bye bye" and started to wave. She hasn't really done it spontaneously since. Please note that she is not talking. Unless you count baaa, uh, gaaa, or gooo as words. I will tell you that she says "boo" when she picks up books, so I think maybe she's starting to get that one. Maybe not, but last night I told her that if she wanted me to read a book before bedtime to get one. (I'm sure that's way, way too advanced of a direction for a nine month old.) Either way, she crawled to the pile of books in the floor and brought one back. Probably a fluke, but I'll take it as a sign of her rapidly advancing brain.

Okay, I have a zillion things to do today, most important: we're almost out of Cheerios. I'd rather be beaten than to run out of Cheerios...especially while M is out of town and I'd be forced to deal with S's breakdown on my own. No thank you. I'd much rather venture out into the rain, and that's really saying something.

Happy Tuesday, peeps. And Happy Birthday, Aunt Mel.

1 comment:

die Frau said...

What on earth would we do without Cheerios for tiny kids? I wonder how long they have been a staple of snack diets for children under six? A baggie and some Cheerios can calm so many situations.

Isn't M's birthday soon? Or recently? Please let me know.