Thursday, December 01, 2011

let the advent-ures begin.

We busted out the Advent calendar this morning for the season of festivity is upon us. Like last year, we aimed for a daily activity that will allow either S and I or our entire family to do something together. A chance to spend at least five minutes of each of the next 25 days enjoying the holiday season. Without further ado, I present the 2011 list of Advent-ures:
  1. Decorate the small tree in S's room.
  2. Spend the night with T & Grandma (Mr. Ouiser and I are going to his office holiday party.)
  3. Buy and decorate the family Christmas tree.
  4. Watch Charlie Brown Christmas.
  5. Watch Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer on TV.
  6. Make a Christmas banner.
  7. Make Peppermint Bark and remember to send Toddler Tamer the world's most gracious thank you note for the bag of crushed peppermint.
  8. Make salt dough ornaments.
  9. Watch Santa Claus is Coming to Town on TV with cookies and cocoa.
  10. Spend the night with Mellie (Mr. Ouiser and I have plans.)
  11. See The Muppets.
  12. Feed the birds.
  13. Make Daddy's favorite cookies (Chocolate Mint).
  14. Make treats to take to school.
  15. See Santa Clause.
  16. Make a gingerbread house or gingerbread nativity.
  17. Choate family Christmas at Aunt O's.
  18. See the Nashville Ballet performance of The Nutcracker (this is strictly a date for S and Mr. Ouiser. I love the idea of a fancy daddy/daughter date during the holidays.)
  19. Have a Christmas playdate.
  20. See the trees at Cheekwood.
  21. Christmas with the Suters.
  22. Watch Polar Express.
  23. Make and decorate butter cookies.
  24. Read 'Twas the Night Before Christmas.
  25. CHRISTMAS!!
Granted, this list doesn't much take into account what the wee-est Ouiser wants to do, but he's just along for the ride for now. Besides, as long as he has something to gnaw on and can stare in wonder at his big sister, he's happy.

I will say that our list will likely have to change a bit, but this is the general plan. Sometimes weather or sickness or last minute plans with friends just have to take precedence, and I'm happy with that because the point is to enjoy the season, not for me to fly my crazy flag. I mean, the elaborate calendar I've created with all the baked goodies and lists of people to give cookies and holiday movies that must be watched coupled with the Christmas spreadsheet that indicates exactly what stage of gifting each gift recipient's present is in (ordered, wrapped, packed to ship or shipped) is evidence enough of my crazy. You know how big car dealerships have those giant American flags that look like they could cover your entire house? That's how large my crazy flag is. I own the crazy. I like to think it makes me charming. That's totally how it comes across, right? No? You just sit at home reading this babble, laughing because you know a person who could probably land her own show on TLC called Crazy Toilet Scrubbing Lady does Stupid Human Tricks? Oh. Okay.

Just the same, I hope you've gotten your own Advent-ures kicked off with a bang. What are your plans for Advent?

2 comments:

Sarah Berry said...

I love the idea of a fancy father/daughter holiday date! We'll definitely have to implement that next year when C is a bit older.

Also, you have a CALENDAR for baked goods. Just when I think you can't get any nuttier :) That being said, I would REALLY like an emailed copy of that business!

JoleneSG said...

Lovely stuff.

We'll be 'borrowing' some of your ideas--our pockets are just the right size for a few surprise adventures!