Tuesday, December 06, 2011

the books.

The Sleepy Time Gal posted about Christmas traditions today, and in the post she talked about Christmas books that her family enjoys. Seasonal books are one of my favorite things around here.

Most of the kids' books are upstairs on a shelf outside of the calm place. However, I keep a crate of books in the family room, too. I rotate them every month or so, and I try to keep them out according to seasons and holidays. So, I put away the Thanksgiving books last week, and got out the winter books. I realized later that I had two separate stashes (winter books v. Christmas books), but having shown S the winter books, I couldn't very well take them away in an attempt to refresh the stash on December 26th, so the book crate is overflowing right now, and that's okay.

Here's what's occupying the book box now:
It's a hefty list, but most of the titles are great. Even the Caillou book is okay. The lone exception to that statement is Emily and the Snowflake. If you ever come across this book, run, don't walk, in the other direction. S loves it. Like, loves it, and it's awful. She also loves the Winnie the Pooh book, which I don't really understand since she's never cared a thing for the inhabitants of the Hundred-Acre Wood previously. I think she just likes it because it's long.

I've posted links to my favorite titles from the list. That way, if you're in the market for a holiday or seasonal book for your kiddos, you can get one that's a little more parent friendly. Meaning, if you have to read it over and over and over, you might not want to tear your eyes out...it is the holiday season after all. And I'm a good friend like that.

I will say that The Tomten is actually one of my favorite children's books. Period. I love it so much. The Story of the Snow Children is also lovely. It's rather magical, really. I also love anything that has to do with Madeline, but S is currently rejecting anything to do with my little French heroine. Leo Lionni is always brilliant, and Frederick is no exception to his genius. Lastly, The Tennessee Night Before Christmas just makes me smile. It talks about Moon Pies for crying out loud, and one of the kids in the story is sleeping in a University of Tennessee Peyton Manning Jersey. It's pretty awesome...even if it doesn't really rhyme.

We've also got some grown up holiday books, but my favorite is a collection of poetry that my SIL gave me last year. I adore reading poetry. Also, this is an absolute gem.

Do you feel Christmas literate now? You're welcome.

What about you? Do you keep a stash of holiday books? What are your favorites?

3 comments:

Sarah Berry said...

Wow!!! Wow, wow, wow.

We have Twas the Night Before Christmas and that's only b/c it was in a box of hand-me-down books that someone gave us.

Also, one Halloween book which C refers to as "the costume book" and a Curious George Easter book - both of which are unfortunately still in heavy reading rotation.

This is impressive!

die Frau said...

None yet, but someone gave me The Snowy Day at my baby shower. I LOVE that book, ever since I was a little girl. Every Christmas Eve we'd go to my grandparents' and read 'Twas the Night Before Christmas aloud, and I'd love to continue that with J.

die Frau said...

Ah, another winter-themed one that will go over well here is "Z is for Zamboni", where the alphabet is put together with all hockey-themed terms. Unfortunately, they have a few Canadian hockey teams referenced that, as a Sabres fan, I must detest, but the rest of it works. :-)