Monday, March 01, 2010

a most amazing day.

Yesterday was just about perfect. Actually, I can't think of anything that would've made it any better, so maybe it was perfect. Alas, I took no pictures of the perfection. M got S when she woke up, and she crawled up into the bed to wake me up. Then M brought in the paper, and we just hung out until time to hit the showers. We went to church and then played in the churchyard in the brilliant sunshine. We chatted. We came home and had a light lunch of crackers, pears, walnuts, and Saint-Andre. We played in the dirt, pulling weeds and raking in the garden. M watched the hockey game. We had Julia Child's garlic soup for dinner. We had family movie night. We watched a little of the Olympic closing ceremony. We went to bed. It really doesn't get much better. Really.

In fact, after M had taken S inside for her rest time and to watch the game, I stayed in the garden, pulling weeds. Every now and again I would just stop and look around and notice my shadow growing longer. I could see the breeze blowing the hair that had escaped from my ponytail. I would play with the mud that was caked onto my hands. And I remember thinking each time, "this is wonderful." Then I would grab another weed and yank. Of course, my knees are still dirty, and my hands are, too. The dirt is so ground in that even though I've scrubbed numerous times, I still keep finding more dirt. And I love it. I also love that last night, as we talked about the garden, S told us that she wanted to "build pumpkins in the garden with eyes and a mouth." I worry that she'll be disappointed that they aren't grown as jack-o-lanterns...

That's it from here, but I'll leave you with a shot of S playing with baby E Friday night.

2 comments:

Paper Bird and Little Fairy said...

It's official, the baby-look is completely gone. She looks so much older. She definitely doesn't look like a baby anymore!

Unknown said...

Oh, that IS the life...