Monday, December 03, 2007

there and back again

So, we're back from another trip southward. We've got one more trip planned for this weekend, then we're home for the holidays. I think. It's tough having your entire family in other places. Lots and lots of traveling to see people during November and December. It's especially tough on S as she doesn't sleep well in other places and long car trips mess up her daytime schedule pretty badly. Oh, well. We've got a few days at home to recuperate.

Not much has been going on in the P household lately. Just getting ready for Christmas, which means I've finished up all the shopping and since the postage stamps came in the mail Saturday, I'll be dropping cards in the mail this afternoon. I'd like to get all the out-of-town gifts ready to go by the afternoon, too, but that may be wishful thinking. Besides, I am not sure I could get all the packages into the post office on my own with S in tow. I may have to make a couple of trips to the PO to get it all done. That sounds fun, right??

Now that all of that is out of the way, I can get down to the fun stuff- holiday baking and candy making. Scarlet Lily has been sharing 12 days of Christmas cookies lately, and I hope I get around to trying some of them. There is a whole array of things that tradition dictates must be made first, though. Like the Peanut Butter Kiss cookies I made last weekend and took to my Uncle Bret. I like this set-up. I get to eat a few of the cookies...then I take the rest to someone else. The PB Kiss cookies are my favorites, and I only let myself make them once a year as I'd sit down and eat the entire batch more than once. I also attempted gumdrop cookie bars for my FIL last night as they are his favorites. I made them last year, but I could barely read the recipe. I thought I had a better handle on them this year, but they are currently residing in my garbage can instead of in Mr. P's tummy. Despite passing the ubiquitous "toothpick test," they were still badly under-done. I didn't realize this until it was way too late to put them back into the oven. I'll try them again sometime this week.

To make up for the gumdrop cookie debacle, I made oatmeal, chocolate chip, and pecan cookies this morning. I wish I hadn't. I've already eaten four. Luckily, the recipe was from Cooking Light, and I made the cookies smaller than called for, so I don't feel as bad as I would if I'd eaten four PB Kiss cookies.

I've also got to get on the ball making M's favorite- Chocolate Mint cookies. I don't worry too much about getting fat off those. M eats them at warp speed.

I've also got to make chocolate fudge, peppermint chocolate fudge, English toffee, butter cookies, peanut brittle, and (hopefully) caramels. I'd also really love to try a Yule Log, but I wanted to do that last year, too, and I never got around to it. Of course, I'll also have to make a caramel pecan pie at some point. Mr. P ate an entire half of one over Thanksgiving. If you're looking for me during the next few weeks, I'll be in the kitchen. Obviously.

Alright, I have no other news to share. Have a great Monday, and keep your fingers crossed in hope that there will still be cookies here for M when he gets home.

Oh, and just in case you need some help getting into the holiday spirit, I found this reindeer who wanted to say hi...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

..but they are currently residing in my garbage can instead of in Mr. P's tummy.

this makes me incredibly sad.. ;)

good to see you writing again. it's been a while. funny how we get caught up in so many obligations around this time of year.. and how many of those are self-imposed..

feather nester said...

Ooh, I dogeared that Cooking Light recipe, too! Glad to hear they're so good. I am flabbergasted by your ambitious baking plans. I would easily put on 10 lbs in the presence of so many cookies. But I'll be impressed with myself if I manage to make one batch of cookies, so I think I'm safe. :)

Strongmama said...

That's the cutest little reindeer I've ever seen! I know exactly how you feel about having to make all the traditional favorites whether you like it or not. B loves these peppermint snowball cookies. They're very easy to make, but it requires grinding peppermints in the cuisinart, which is sooo loud it hurts to think about it. But I'll make them because I love him... If you have any free time between all this baking, wrapping, baby wrangling, and everything else, do you think you might be able to post that caramel pecan pie recipe? I know a few people who would also scarf down half a pie in one sitting and would love to try it. Thanks!

Strongmama said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
die Frau said...

Love the cookies and will definitely try the Cooking Light ones. I've got a few other CL cookie recipes in the works as well.

I think S. looks like a cross between a reindeer and Cindy Lou Who! Either way, she is the cutest thing EVER.

Anonymous said...

Agreed. S gets the cutest Christmas animal prize :) Good luck with your baking! That many cookies could solve a lot of the world's problems.

mo wask said...

love that kid. hugs to the p fam!